I’ve been feeling a little under-inspired when it comes to posting anything here lately. I want to, in theory…I’ve even started a couple of posts. It’s just not coming together.
And then what do I chance to read a few minutes ago but this post from WordPress: “Five Posts to Write Right Now.” The first two sentences are:
“Mired in ‘bloggers’ block’? Pshaw – we’ll give you a push!”
So of course I had to read it. And it was worth it!
The suggestion I particularly liked was #4: “Self-psychoanalysis via your bookshelf or Spotify playlist” – which suggests taking the last 5 books you read, or the last 5 songs you listened to, or 5 movies you watched, etc., and listing them to see what they reveal about you.
I immediately started trying to do that in my head…and realized it’d be a fun post as well.
Blogging problem solved!
So I’m going to fill this post with as many “5 Lists” as I can think of off the top of my head.
I have my doubts that the exercise will produce any useful insight…but at least it’ll be a summation (of sorts) of what’s been filling my head in these recent blog-less days, so good for continuity’s sake in this space. (And it’ll be fun!)
So, here goes:
THE LAST 5 BOOKS I READ (in order from most recent first):
1) The Witch of Portobello, by Paulo Coelho (I’m about halfway through this one right now)
2) The Great LIFE Photographers, by The Editors of LIFE
3) Emma, by Jane Austen (I wouldn’t normally include on a reading list anything I’ve read as many times as I’ve read Emma [because when you know a story as well as I know this one, it often becomes a matter of skimming as much as reading…for me at least]. But as it is, it’s been at least a year since I last read this…so I actually didn’t skim at all this time! So it legitimately makes the list.)
4) Make Art, Make Money, by Elizabeth Hyde Stevens. (Jim Henson is an interesting guy.)
5) The Tao of Photography, by Philippe L. Gross and S.I. Shapiro
THE LAST 5 SONGS THAT PLAYED WHEN I PUT MY IPOD ON SHUFFLE:
1) “All the Way to Reno,” by R.E.M.
2) “Intro,” by the xx
3) “Happenstance,” by Maria Taylor
4) “Boy With a Coin,” by Iron&Wine
5) “All These Things That I’ve Done,” by The Killers
AND HERE’S ANOTHER 5 (because these are funny…they’re so very, very random!!)
1) “On and On Again,” by Azure Ray
2) “Walk on the Ocean,” by Toad the Wet Sprocket
3) “Crystal Village,” by Pete Yorn
4) “A Beautiful Lie,” by Thirty Seconds to Mars
5) “Our Own Pretty Ways,” by First Aid Kit
THE LAST 5 MOVIES I WATCHED (these were all iTunes rentals; I actually can’t remember the last time I saw a movie in a movie theatre. And that’s kind of sad, isn’t it? Maybe I need to go to a movie soon…just to say I did):
2) Mr. Nobody
3) Sliding Doors
4) The Tigger Movie (I wasn’t watching this one alone!!)
THE LAST 5 ARTICLES I READ ONLINE (and this list is really quite embarrassing! [#4 is an especially worthy read, isn’t it??] I went through my browsing history just now to compile this and was committed to honest reporting…so it really is accurate (sadly). Just please know that I really DO read intelligent things…really quite often! Just apparently not this evening…):
THE LAST 5 BLOG POSTS I READ:
THE LAST 5 FOOD/DRINK ITEMS I CONSUMED (in backwards order):
1) Hot Lemon Water with Honey
2) Ginger Tea with Lemon
3) Kale Salad with crackers and apple slices
4) Mango-Lemonade + Seltzer
5) Peanut Butter/Almond Milk/Banana/Honey smoothie (there might be something else in it…the kids and I were just dumping stuff into the blender!)
THE LAST 5 THINGS THAT INSPIRED ME:
1) My kids:
my son – who wants to be an inventor when he grows up. His latest idea is to build a shower out of some sort of rubberized material so that when I’m old and possibly fall down in there, I’ll not only not break any bones, I’ll bounce right back up and onto my feet. Safety AND fun for me in my old age!
my daughter – who wants to be a vet when she grows up…but only on weekdays (oh, and I’m to work for her – driving a special injured animal rescue vehicle that will transport all the creatures who need her medical assistance to the office.) On the weekends, she’ll be a marine biologist to help all of the ocean creatures. And then there’ll be occasional trips to Russia to help Siberian tigers.
They’re both so incredibly sincere in all of their planning; I love listening to them and imagining what they’ll do with their lives.
2) This article.
3) And this article.
4) This list.
5) This blog post.
THE 5 PLACES I WOULD VISIT (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) IF I HAD THE MEANS/ABILITY TO GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD AT THIS MOMENT. This list changes all the time (2 months ago, it stood at this). But at this exact moment in time it’s:
1) The Maldives (for THIS)
2) Any of the sites photographed here – partly because I want to see how closely these incredibly beautiful pictures actually mirror reality. And partly because they’d be fascinating…any of them.
4) Northern&Central California – because I’ve never been. And I want to see the Redwoods, and I want to see Big Sur. San Francisco would be pretty interesting too.
5) Chefchaouen, Morocco. Because I want to explore and take pictures.
THE LAST 5 BEAUTIFUL THINGS I ENCOUNTERED IN THE EVERYDAY:
2) Bright green grass
3) Magnolia blossoms
4) Wide blue sky
(I LOVE Spring!!)
THE LAST 5 PHOTOGRAPHS I TOOK:
I’m going to have to find a way to get disciplined about writing.
Maybe I just need to find new ways to make writing-heavy posts fun again? This prompt from WordPress really was a good method for breaking out of a writing slump. Maybe I should try one of the other prompts on that list…